Monday, May 2, 2016

To Grow Up Would Be An Awfully Big Adventure


A few months back I received an email from a past Professor. 

She informed me that one of my essays from last Spring was picked to be published in this year's Audeamus. 

How cool is that?!

Even better, you'll never be able to guess what the essay was about.



OH YEAH, PETER PAN.

How cool is that?! 2x


In learning that this  essay would be published, the initial emotions I had writing the essay resurfaced. In fact, its importance actually increased tenfold.

With each passing day, I realize that my college days are numbered. As someone hesitant to change, this terrifies me greatly. Rereading the story of how Peter Pan came to be and how much value his story holds in society meant a lot to me. See, Peter Pan doesn’t fit into a particular box and that’s why he’s relatable. I’ve learned that while he’s more egotistic than heroic, he’s still an important pillar in our society. 

Peter’s adventure is timeless. His way of living is dogmatic. The realization of growing up and growing old is something that strikes a chord in everyone at some point.  Hearing Peter proclaim ‘To die would be an awfully big adventure!’ echoes in every corner of our existence. We live our lives day by day to better ourselves, to grow up, to give something back to the world and to leave a lasting impression.

Everyone was once a child and played pretend. While we have all grown out of that phase, it’s nice to know there’s still someone carrying on that innocence and splendor for us.

And that is what makes the real world not so scary after all.

With love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Tell me what you think: