Monday, November 16, 2015

My Trip to Santorini, Greece



Hello!

Finally here's a post about my 10 day break. I am slacking SO hard. It's been back to reality with school, planning an art event in Dublin and finding last minute things to do before I leave Ireland, sadly, for good. 

I'm trying not think about the last part.

In a way, putting this off until now allows me to reminisce my trip even more. It's only been a few weeks, but I'm itching to go back to Santorini.


Santorini is a Greek island famous for its blue domes and post card worthy sunsets. It is also home to the lost city Akrotiri and famous for Ouzo.  Another Santorini gem? Their olive oil and balsamic. My roommates and I tasted some while out shopping and all three of us fell in love instantly. Shipping bottles of this beautiful pairing back to our houses was very tempting albeit expensive.


I traveled to Santorini with my roommates Kara and Nicole. After our 3 day stay, our adventures continued in Athens, Rome and Positano. We dubbed our 10 day trip the "roomie moon." As Pinterest suggests Santorini and Positano are two of the biggest honey moon destinations. 



This trip was the first time any of us had ever used Airbnb and I was pleasantly surprised with our luck. Our Airbnb was right in the heart of Kamari. We were just a few minutes from all the shops and had a private walkway to the beach. Talk about an ideal location. I cannot praise our Airbnb host Giannis enough. He and his wife made us feel like family. They took us out to dinner, gave us a tour of the island and made sure we were safe! (A wonderful thing for my parents to hear)



When we weren't with Giannis, we took the bus to the towns of Fira and Oia for tons of shopping- you have to get souvenirs somewhere, right? and to watch the famous and coveted sunset. Getting around Santorini was so easy. The bus was only 1.80 euro and the schedule was easy to follow!




We joked that we brought Ireland's rainy weather with us, for most days were overcast with showers here and there. This may be part of the reason why Oia's sunset wasn't as vibrant as  it's known to be. While still beautiful, the star of the show had to be the moon rising. It brought beautiful vibrant purples, pinks and blues to the sky. I have never seen something so stunning!

Words can't effectively describe how beautiful Santorini is. I can see why it's a popular Summer spot. However, between you and me, going in the off season is even more special. At times it felt like Kara, Nicole and I had the island to ourselves! 


3 days was the perfect amount of time in Santorini. Everyone was so charming; I've never met nicer people! 

Greek food was also fantastic (Should I have even been surprised?) Saganaki puts any other cheese dish to shame and I'm now a firm believer that tzatziki can be put on just about anything.

I truly wouldn't change a thing. Alright, maybe I would have taken some extra baklava for the trip home...

With love,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Tell me what you think: