Friday, May 2, 2014

Weekly Links: Girl Power


I don't know about you guys, but I think this week flew by!
 I met a lot of friendly people, learned a ton of beneficial things and, sadly, had to bid farewell to the dorm I called home for the past 9 months. Since the week flew by, I apologize for this not being posted as early as it usually is on Fridays. Time flies when you're having fun packing and repacking.

In my search for finding all things interesting this week, I stumbled across a few things that simply confirm the fact that girls are awesome. I'll tell you why I honed in on this topic at the end of my post!

* Click the hyperlinks below to be redirected to the original article*


I don't always watch things other than the Today Show, HGTV, and The Tonight Show, (I swear I'm not a grandma)...but when I do I like to watch The Voice. And by watch it, I mean only tune into the blind auditions. I've always liked The Voice for being its unique and unbiased approach on a singing competition and this week I fell in love with it even more when NBC confirmed that Gwen Stefani will replace Christina Aguilera as a new judge in the Fall. I'm super excited!  This $@!% is bananas. ( B-A-N-A-N-A-S)

I think because of this news we should all just take a moment to reminisce  on Gwen's song Hollaback Girl aka my anthem in 5th grade. 



Alright, Gwen appreciation rant over. In other news, I love Taco Bell. Their social media expert should get a gold medal, they're recent breakfast launch has been a success and above all else, I crave it all the time. Yes, even after reading Fast Food Nation  my love for Taco Bell is unwavering. However, I have to admit that I didn't know one particular thing about the brand. What's that you may ask? Well, in 2011 the company confessed that only 85% of their meet is actual beef. That in its self should be enough to turn me away, but as I mentioned, my love is unwavering. This week the company revealed what is in the other 21% of their beef through a new change on their website. I now realize this has nothing to do with girl power, but girls love Taco Bell so does that count?


Scrolling aimlessly through Tumblr I found a beautiful photography project. Annalisa took a series of photos that portray culture and counter culture over the past 10 decades. The full project can be seen here and you can follow her on Tumblr here. This was all done for a class project and I sincerely hope she received an A.


Shout out to all of my fellow oldest siblings out there. I'm the oldest of four and a lot of responsibility often falls on my shoulders. Most of the time I don't particularly mind this, but I have to admit sometimes that pressure does get to me (and I'm sure it gets to you too if you're in the same boat!) Fear not, all that pressure makes us ambitious. According to a new study, the oldest child and in the case namely first born girls tend to be more ambitious and accomplished.  To quote a fellow first born girl Beyonce: "Who run the world? Girls."

Random Little Links

To the boys that read my blog, I hope you don't mind all the girl empowerment loving going on over here today. 

 To my lovely ladies, I got my inspiration to find all these great articles from #GirlBoss. I'm sure many of you, like myself, have daydreamed over owning clothes from Nastygal.com. The site is unprecedented in its effort of clothing the modern-gal-that-knows-exactly-what-she-wants-and-does-it-by-looking-uber-cool. Nasty Gal's founder, Sophia has a book, #GirlBoss, coming out Tuesday all about her journey; taking the little that she had with a ton of passion to ultimately live her dreams. The book also is bound to inspire a new wave of smart and passionate ladies that just don't take no for an answer.* I can't wait to get my hands on it. 

* I am not a sponsor for Nasty Gal or #GirlBoss. Opinion, enthusiasm and anticipation in regards to Nasty Gal and #GirlBoss are my own.*

Prom is happening tonight in my town and I am so excited to see my neighbor Taylor all dolled up. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!

Best,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Tell me what you think: