Thursday, April 10, 2014

Weekly Links: The Power of Pictures


 Hello everyone! Another week for the books.
 Monday night I saw The Dirty Heads and they put on a great, relaxing show. If you haven't heard of them before, do yourself a favor and give their songs a listen! They're the perfect summer band. 

Tuesday was Free Cone Day at Ben and Jerry's and as you can imagine, being in Vermont practically  means you're obligated to go. I had cookies and milk and it did not disappoint. Ice cream is always great, but it's even better when it's free!

* Click the hypertext to be redirected to the original article*


In March I visited Boston with my friend Jill. While I only went to Boston one other time prior to our trip, I absolutely love the city. Much of the city was exactly as I remembered it with one exception.  Boylston Street still has a beautiful yellow finish line to remember the Boston Marathon bombing that happened almost a year ago. In seeing this, I couldn't help but feel sad. To remember the tragic event, but more importantly its survivors, Dear World did photoshoots with the marathon's survivors.  These photos and the strong people in them are what we should be looking to and remembering next Tuesday.


I may have mentioned this before, but I love vintage ads. The 50s and 60s especially had  a special feel to them.  (Also something cool to look into: Inner Sanctum Mysteries. Oh,  how I love the era of newly discovered product placements and cheery, over dramatic voices on the radio.) Anyways,  art director David Redon also loves vintage ads. He takes popular songs and takes their title and artist to recreate what they would look like as an ad. You can see his work here.


I just had a feeling this would happen. This week, David Letterman announced that he would be leaving  The Late Show. The first thing that came to my mind was " Stephen Colbert is going to replace him."  And who was right? This gal right here. Colbert will replace Letterman in 2015. The bigger question? Who will replace Colbert? The shuffling of Late Night hosts continues...


 A Picture is worth a thousand words. Pictures capture so many emotions and important events or memories. Distractify put up a post showcasing the 60 most powerful photos showing the human experience. I was in awe looking at this gallery. I really wish I could put all of my favorites right here, but then this post would be unnecessarily long! Absolutely lovely and definitely a  must see.


I'm just going to come out and say it: this picture creeps me out to no end. If you haven't heard, somewhere roaming this earth are the human versions of Barbie and Ken. I wouldn't spend all my time and money trying to look like the iconic dolls, but hey to each their own. I'm also just going to go out on a limb here and say they both don't even look like the beloved figures? To make this story even more odd, Justin Jedlica aka human Ken says that human Barbie is his arch nemesis. Not only that, but he goes on to say that she dresses like a drag queen and is fake....  talk about  a great example of a hypocrite.

 Human Barbie, Valeria Lukyanova, was recently interviewed by GQ and has since been criticized for her family views and for being a racist which can be read here.

Random Little Links

 My family is coming up to visit this weekend and luckily for them, the weather will be beautiful. I miss them very much and am counting down the hours until they arrive. I hope you all enjoy your weekend!

Best,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Tell me what you think: